Monday, August 15, 2011

Hunk of Meat Mondays: Budget Saving Meals for Show Moms

Tired of eating over priced state fair food?

Tired of watching your money run out the door?

So am I!


Showing cattle, or any species, is not cheap. Life as a show mom is not easy nor cheap.  Showing cattle, or any other species, can also be expensive. You have entry fees, hotel expenses, travel expenses and miscellaneous items that accumulate during your trip.  I couldn't stand the thought of watching my money float away and having my kids eat one greasy cheeseburger after another.

So, I took the time to figure out how to use my crock pot at shows.  In addition to cooking meals in my crockpot, I also make fresh sweet tea every morning at the hotel.  Those cold brew tea bags are a blessing!  It brings me a great deal of comfort to give my family a cooked meal at least once a day!

 Here are some of my money saving meals that I use while on the road at cattle shows.  Simply figure your meals out in advance, make your lists, pack the slow cooker, a few plastic spoons, slow cooker bags, and the utensils to eat with. Then buy your food at the grocery store as you need it.

Chicken & Black Bean Stoup - Cooks in 4 hours in the crockpot. Serve it with tortilla chips or tortillas

Cowboy Stew - Make this stew in advance and freeze it.  I made this last fall before NAILE and it stayed frozen in a cooler in my car for three days! Then warm it in the crockpot.

Pepsi Pork Chops - Throw in a can of potatoes and you have a meal!

Smoked Pork Chops with Hashbrown Casserole - So easy and so delicious! This is one of my family's favorites!



Cheesy Hamburger Burritos - Brown your hamburger in advance and freeze it. Then throw it in the cooler and keep it on ice. The meat will stay frozen for 2 or 3 days.





I hope these recipes save you & your family a little money. I'll have another update this fall on more meals to make a shows. Oh - and if you want to know how to make the sweet tea, drop me an email. I'll gladly share my secret!




1 comment:

  1. Would love to have that tea recipe...I have a great mint tea recipe, too, if you love mint!

    ReplyDelete